Reception is over and we are zooming into Year 1. We hope you have had a lovely Summer Holiday and have lots of holiday news to share with us at school. This half term our topic is 'Superheroes'. We are excited to find out what you know about superheroes and what super skills you are bringing into Year 1!
We are looking forward to getting to know each and every one of you, settle you into the new Year 1 routines and find out all about you.
To find out more about our topic on 'Superheroes', please read the curriculum newsletter attached below.
Dates for your diary
Tuesday 10th September - First day of term
Friday 25th October - Last day of Autumn 1 term
(Autumn half term)
Monday 4th November - Autumn 2 begins
Friday 20th December - Last day of term
These are the objectives we are focussing on in English and Maths this half term:
- Give an opinion with a reason.
- Listen to others’ opinions.
- Use Standard English to give an opinion.
- Recite/perform own compositions.
- Use prior knowledge to understand texts.
- Use picture clues to support understanding.
- Use picture clues to deepen understanding.
- Identify unfamiliar words and ask about meaning.
- Use the context to make informed guesses about the meaning of unfamiliar words.
- Discuss the meaning of unfamiliar words.
- Identify the key events in a story.
- Make predictions based on the events in the story.
- Identify the characters in a story.
- Recognise a character’s feelings.
- Say why a character has a feeling.
- Give an opinion about a character.
- Answer retrieval questions about the book.
- Use information from the story to support opinion.
- Say what they like or dislike about a book.
- Listen to others’ ideas about a book.
- Say whether they agree or disagree with other’s ideas.
- Know that there are different kinds of books.
- Know the difference between a story book and an information book.
- Talk about ideas for writing.
- Know what to write about.
- Choose one idea for a sentence.
- Say the sentence aloud.
- Check that the sentence makes sense.
- Hold the sentence in your head.
- Write the sentence.
- Read the sentence and check that it makes sense.
- Check that the sentence starts with a capital letter and ends with the right end mark – full stop/question mark.
- Decide on the next sentence which will say what happened next.
Writing - grammar and vocabulary
- Know what a sentence is when speaking.
- Recognise upper and lower case letters.
- Find sentences in reading.
- Notice sentence demarcation in reading.
- Check that a capital has been used for the personal pronoun I in writing.
- Find where capital letters have been used other than to start sentences in reading.
- Know that the names of people need capital letters.
- Use capital letters for special names of people in writing.
- Sorting, counting forwards and backwards and writing numbers to ten
- Counting one more one less, comparing groups and numbers of objects to ten
- Ordering objects and numbers, ordinal numbers and using a number line
- Part-whole within 10
- Number bonds to ten, finding and comparing number bonds to ten
- Addition and subtraction within 10
- Finding the whole/adding together, finding the whole/ adding more, finding a part
- Finding and making number bonds
- Finding addition facts
- Solving addition word problems